Animal Planet Signs Up For Season 6 Of Whale Wars

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#1 123nic

123nic

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:42 AM

http://m.smh.com.au/...0920-268of.html Sea Shepherd's most wanted man declares new whale war
ANDREW DARBY September 20, 2012
The wanted Sea Shepherd leader, Paul Watson, is marshalling resources for the biggest campaign yet against Japanese Antarctic whaling.
Watson said that despite being without a passport and moving in secret, he intended to lead the campaign by 120 people on four ships this summer.
"We aim to stop them completely this time," he told Fairfax. "They will be so financially in the hole that they can't climb out."
Advertisement

Official pressure on Watson is escalating with a second Red Notice, or international wanted persons alert, issued by Interpol at the request of Japan for alleged hooliganism, vandalism and damage.
The Japanese prosecution relates to the 2010 boarding of a whaling ship by then Sea Shepherd activist Pete Bethune.
A tip-off from inside Germany's Justice Ministry enabled Watson to evade a Japanese extradition request and skip bail July 22, he said. "They would have seized me the next morning."
He was being detained in Germany on €250,000 ($A293,000) bail following the surprise re-appearance of 10-year-old navigation charges from Costa Rica.
Since then Watson, 61, has refused to disclose his location. Asked in a telephone interview whether he was on land or at sea, he replied: "I don't have a passport, so it's pretty hard to move around."
Nevertheless, he said Sea Shepherd's funds for its ninth Antarctic campaign had been boosted by "my problems". The US Animal Planet television production firm has signed on for another series of Whale Wars, and crews enlisted to go south.
The Australian-based vessels Steve Irwin, Bob Barker and Brigitte Bardot will be joined by a yet to be seen fast ship, Sam Simon, which Watson said was in an undisclosed location. It was donated to the group by a founding producer of The Simpsons.
With Sea Shepherd operations likely again to be heavily reliant on Australian port access, Environment Minister Tony Burke reiterated government condemnation of unlawful behaviour on the high seas.
“Safety at sea is Australia's foremost priority," Mr Burke said. "The government has repeatedly called upon all the masters of all vessels planning to voyage to the Southern Ocean to exercise restraint and ensure that safety is their number one priority.”
Watson said the timing of this year's campaign would depend again on the departure of the Japanese fleet. "We've got all the ships and the funds. My obstacle is getting there, as I can't enter any country."
In an extensive defence posted on the Sea Shepherd website, Mr Watson denied any wrongdoing, but said he had no time to deal with charges arrayed against him in Costa Rica and Japan.
"I believe that saving the lives of a thousand whales must take priority over playing courtroom games with Japan and Costa Rica," he said. "You don't win a battle by playing by the rules of the opposition."
The whaling fleet usually departs from Japan in mid-November to take minke and fin whales under the International Whaling Commission's disputed scientific research clause.
Further government funding to prop up the fleet is reported to be forthcoming, with the whaling's inclusion under a Profitable Fisheries Support Project scheme, according to the Dolphin and Whale Action Network in Tokyo.

#2 Jockel76

Jockel76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

If they intercept them before reaching the Southern Ocean, it's going to be a short season of Whale Wars. Season 5 was already pretty short.

#3 jumptoit

jumptoit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

View PostJockel76, on 20 September 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

If they intercept them before reaching the Southern Ocean, it's going to be a short season of Whale Wars. Season 5 was already pretty short.

I can live with it being short.

#4 macuss87

macuss87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

I have mixed feelings I'd love to see a FULL 26 episode season, including a chrismas special!  However the faster and more effective they are the shorter the tv season will be, which is what we all want.  I'm hoping they latch on to the NMs slipway ASAP.

Really what SSCS needs to do is charter a yacht/work boat from japan and tail the fleet out of the harbour.  Do the charter on the quiet no SSCS flag just track from a distance.

#5 drj130

drj130

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

View Postmacuss87, on 20 September 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

I have mixed feelings I'd love to see a FULL 26 episode season, including a chrismas special!  However the faster and more effective they are the shorter the tv season will be, which is what we all want.  I'm hoping they latch on to the NMs slipway ASAP.

Really what SSCS needs to do is charter a yacht/work boat from japan and tail the fleet out of the harbour.  Do the charter on the quiet no SSCS flag just track from a distance.

What do you think those two former naval subs will be doing that I mentioned before in another posting.  

:ph34r: :unsure: :ph34r:
Posting from my laptop, Mac, and tablet to bring you the latest news.

#6 abi321

abi321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

But you are kidding I think
"Intelligence is the ability of a species to live in harmony with its environment."- Paul Watson

"I have been honored to serve the whales, dolphins, seals - and all the other creatures on this Earth. Their beauty, intelligence, strength, and spirit have inspired me. These beings have spoken to me, touched me, and I have been rewarded by friendship with many members of different species.
If the whales survive and flourish, if the seals continue to live and give birth, and if I can contribute to ensuring their future prosperity, I will be forever happy." - Paul Watson

#7 ExecutiveBanana

ExecutiveBanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

i have nearly no doubt it will be a short season, and it is bitter sweet. obviously, the short the better. but my favorite tv show will be lost forever.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I can see it but because by it I see everything else." -C.S. Lewis

#8 macuss87

macuss87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostExecutiveBanana, on 20 September 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

i have nearly no doubt it will be a short season, and it is bitter sweet. obviously, the short the better. but my favorite tv show will be lost forever.

Agreed!  I'm still holding out hope for "Shark Wars"

If only they could run some long range subs, though if the japanese found military subs in their waters with soviet sonar signatures.....could mean a bad bad day for the crew.

#9 Cult of Personality

Cult of Personality

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

Of course Animal Planet would sign up lol. There's a lot of hype around this and I for one can't wait.

Hope they stop them before the kill a single whale. Anything in double digits for Japan is going to be a huge blow, but zero would be amazing, talk about losing face.

Further government funding to prop up the fleet is reported to be forthcoming, with the whaling's inclusion under a Profitable Fisheries Support Project scheme, according to the Dolphin and Whale Action Network in Tokyo.   

This sounds interesting and will only be problematic if they send another ship down. But as long as Sam is a fast vessel, she and the BrB will be on the NM in no time.

#10 mockelleher

mockelleher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

View Post123nic, on 20 September 2012 - 05:42 AM, said:

Ah heeeeeeeell no

#11 Arch

Arch

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

AP, Please edit and produce this season like the earlier seasons. Last season was HORRIBLE!

Lets hope for two episodes.
- Episode 1 preparing to leave
- Episode 2: Bob finds the NM just north of AU

Remember that the Bob has found the NM the past few years.

#12 123nic

123nic

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostArch, on 20 September 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

AP, Please edit and produce this season like the earlier seasons. Last season was horrible!
agreed. Very agreed.

#13 drj130

drj130

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

View Postabi321, on 20 September 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

But you are kidding I think

Yes, I am kidding. Though it would be nice if it were true.

I can dream, can't I?

#14 hywelis

hywelis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

View PostArch, on 20 September 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

AP, Please edit and produce this season like the earlier seasons. Last season was HORRIBLE!

And while you're at it, AP, please teach your narrator to pronounce Captain Cornelissen's last name correctly. Please. Every time they said it wrong was like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Hywelis

#15 SarahHattrick

SarahHattrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

Ok newbie question here but instead of Japan sending another security ship to protect the NM - do Japan have a NM2 or another factory ship?  Surely with SSCS sending more ships the easiest way to split SSCS time would be for them to have more factory ships? I know this would cost Japan more money but funds seem to be no problem for the government.  

I'm hoping the NM is the only factory ship in the fleet but thought I would ask the question.

#16 kerdoo

kerdoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,649 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

View PostSarahHattrick, on 20 September 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

Ok newbie question here but instead of Japan sending another security ship to protect the NM - do Japan have a NM2 or another factory ship?  Surely with SSCS sending more ships the easiest way to split SSCS time would be for them to have more factory ships? I know this would cost Japan more money but funds seem to be no problem for the government.  

I'm hoping the NM is the only factory ship in the fleet but thought I would ask the question.

There are no other factory ships

#17 Jockel76

Jockel76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

No, the Nisshin Maru is the only remaining factory ship left. But originally it was a stern trawler for catching fish and was later converted into a whale factory ship. Let's not hope they convert another one.

#18 Pietiman

Pietiman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

Yes the NM is the only Factory Ship in service on this Planet i think (correct me if im wrong) and so there is no chance for the Whalers to have another Factory Ship.
You don’t need a peg leg or an eye patch. If you kill sentinent social creatures; ram/sink and try to kill unarmed activists; throw spears at small boats; throw flashbang grenades; hurl metal hooks at peoples heads; and throw metal bolts at people, you are, without a doubt, a pirate, no matter how high-minded you believe your purpose to be.

#19 SarahHattrick

SarahHattrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

Good Good.  Thanks for the answers :)

#20 drj130

drj130

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostPietiman, on 20 September 2012 - 05:52 PM, said:

Yes the NM is the only Factory Ship in service on this Planet i think (correct me if im wrong) and so there is no chance for the Whalers to have another Factory Ship.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that there is no chance of them having another one. All they'd have to do is convert another ship. Lets just hope that it isn't within their budget for them to do that.