Norway sets 2013 quota to kill 1286 whales

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 AnimuX

AnimuX

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Norway's Fisheries and Coastal Affairs Ministry has set a quota to kill up to 1,286 minke whales in the 2013 whaling season despite years of falling demand and catches of half (or less) than the set total.

http://www.nrk.no/ny...land/1.10903663

Translated:

Fisheries and Coastal Affairs has set a quota of 1,286 animals for the minke whale hunt in 2013. The quota is the same as last year.

The quota is set on the basis of computational models developed by the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission (IWC).

Sustainable

"With this we have established a quota that provides adequate security for sustainable hunting of minke whale population," said Minister of Fisheries and Coastal Affairs Lisbeth Berg-Hansen, "and emphasizes that we also paves the way for continued stability and favorable framework conditions for the whaling industry."

Takes only half the quota taken

1. April marks the start of this year's whaling. The quota is the same as last year and the year before. In 2011, the 533 animals taken.

The figures for last year are not yet available, but the catch is likely to be far less than the quota allowed. Last year's season cables extended by one month to 31 september.

In the end of August last year it was shot 459 animals.

Facts about whaling:

The members of the IWC (International Whaling Commission) voted in 1982 to impose a total ban on commercial whaling.

Norway reserved its position and maintain a commercial hunting of minke whales, even though Norway is a member of the IWC.

Norway has set a specific quota for minke whales within acceptable sustainable limits.

20 boats have registered for whaling in 2012. It is about the same as last year. Quota is 1286 animals.

Norway, Iceland and Japan are the only nations in the world that operates commercial whaling.

In 2008 the population of minke whales in the northeast Atlantic, estimated at 103,000 animals.

Whaling season begins 1 April and ends on 31 august.

Facts about IWC:

The International Whaling Commission (IWC) was created to manage whale species under the Convention of 1946 that regulates whaling. The Convention would ensure sustainability of the global whale species.

For years, the IWC a purely administrative body where whaling nations met and blocked a proposal to cut the whale quotas. Over taxation continued until it was profitable to hunt whales.

In the 1980s the IWC character to become more and more a conservation organization. Membership has since grown to 80 nations. In 1982, the IWC agreed on a moratorium banning commercial whaling. Moratorium took effect in 1986.

Norway suspended its commercial whaling in 1988 after international pressure. But since Norway had reserved from the moratorium, could Gro Harlem Brundtland five years later reopen commercial whaling of minke whales.

http://www.norwaytod...iew.php?id=2269

The quota for minke whales is set to 1286 animals in 2013, the same as the last three years.

Also in 2013, there will be free hunting in all stations.

The quota is set on the basis of computational models developed by the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission (IWC). Fisheries and Coastal Affairs Minister Lisbeth Berg-Hansen emphasizes thatcatches are sustainable, while the whaling industry has stable and good facilities.

In recent years, only about half of the quota is taken, according to figures from the Directorate of Fisheries. In 2011 533 of the 1,286 minke whales in the quota cuts. The figures for last year are not yet available, but the catch is likely to be far less than the quota allowed.

“Anything else you are interested in is not going to happen if you can’t breathe the air and drink the water. Don’t sit this one out. Do something. You are by accident of fate alive at an absolute critical moment in the history of our planet.” -- Carl Sagan

#2 AnimuX

AnimuX

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

It should be pointed out that Norway 'tunes' the formula previously put together by the IWC scientific committee to come up with bigger numbers for a 'sustainable' catch.

In other words, the government of Norway makes up its own whale poaching quotas that far exceed what the IWC would recommend --IF-- the IWC permitted a number other than ZERO.
“Anything else you are interested in is not going to happen if you can’t breathe the air and drink the water. Don’t sit this one out. Do something. You are by accident of fate alive at an absolute critical moment in the history of our planet.” -- Carl Sagan

#3 Cult of Personality

Cult of Personality

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

That's ridiculous.

#4 Eagle Eye

Eagle Eye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Wow..that's insane..did Sea Shepherd or Greenpeace do something to stop this recently? Apart from 94' with that shocking incident with SSCS and the norwegian navy I don't know about something else
Mankind will rise above this

#5 AnimuX

AnimuX

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostEagle Eye, on 07 February 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

Wow..that's insane..did Sea Shepherd or Greenpeace do something to stop this recently? Apart from 94' with that shocking incident with SSCS and the norwegian navy I don't know about something else

The most drastic action I can think of in response to Norway has been the occasional scuttling of a whaling boat by a group called Agenda21.

WSPA has also done some investigative reporting on it in recent years showing a long duration between a strike and the killing of a whale -- exposing the cruelty of it.

Norway's whaling industry is suffering from reduced demand and shrinking participation.

That max quota likely won't be reached. The end result will probably be about half or less.

Some speculate that Norway unilaterally increased its quotas in order to negotiate down from an inflated number in the IWC for some sort of compromise on commercial whaling.

#6 Crazy_Ivan

Crazy_Ivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

It seems they might be doing this just to provoke conservationists and the IWC. If Sea Shepherd opposed this do you think there would be a repeat of that little Norwegian Navy incident?

At least minke whales aren't endangered.

#7 Awakened

Awakened

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Norway suspended its commercial whaling in 1988 after international pressure. But since Norway had reserved from the moratorium, could Gro Harlem Brundtland five years later reopen commercial whaling of minke whales.

Translation:

Norway suspended its commercial whaling in 1988 after international pressure. But instead of remaining consistent with international consensus, it decides to behave as a rogue nation, just like Japan and Iceland, and circumvent international agreements. Norway establishes an unrealistic quota so that they can be shown to be responsible stewards of the oceans by taking less then they deserve.

“To remain silent and indifferent is the greatest sin of all.” Elie Weisel

"Can't you see?...It all makes perfect sense...Expressed in dollars and cents; pounds, shillings and pence. Can't you see? It all makes perfect sense." Rodger Waters

#8 Gilly

Gilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostCrazy Ivan, on 07 February 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

It seems they might be doing this just to provoke conservationists and the IWC. If Sea Shepherd opposed this do you think there would be a repeat of that little Norwegian Navy incident?

View PostCrazy Ivan, on 07 February 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

Crazy Ivan, you may find it interesting to note that those minke whales hunted by Norway are very likely some of the population that we see around British coasts. :angry:
What race will be next in Line?  All for the slaughter.  The elephant or the seal or your sons and daughters?  -  "The Last Leviathan"

#9 Resident Rednek Bigbadpete

Resident Rednek Bigbadpete

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

And how many Norweigan Whaling ships are going to kiss the black mud of the harbour this season?.
All I want in life is a fair ship, calm seas and a bountiful catch of fish.

#10 AnimuX

AnimuX

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

http://www.regjering....html?id=713911

Link to the official press release from the Norwegian government.

#11 abi321

abi321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

Such a high quota. Sick and sad.
"Intelligence is the ability of a species to live in harmony with its environment."- Paul Watson

"I have been honored to serve the whales, dolphins, seals - and all the other creatures on this Earth. Their beauty, intelligence, strength, and spirit have inspired me. These beings have spoken to me, touched me, and I have been rewarded by friendship with many members of different species.
If the whales survive and flourish, if the seals continue to live and give birth, and if I can contribute to ensuring their future prosperity, I will be forever happy." - Paul Watson

#12 Crazy_Ivan

Crazy_Ivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostGilly, on 07 February 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

Crazy Ivan, you may find it interesting to note that those minke whales hunted by Norway are very likely some of the population that we see around British coasts. :angry:

Indeed - I wasn't condoning it, just pointing out it's not an endangered species.

#13 Gilly

Gilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostCrazy Ivan, on 08 February 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

Indeed - I wasn't condoning it, just pointing out it's not an endangered species.

Sorry mate, I wasn't refering to the 'endangered' part of your post.  I was merely pointing out that Norway's whaling could actually be having an impact on what we regard as our whale population around our waters.  I wasn't being critical in the slightest, I know you are a Brit and you had shown an interest in the thread so I wondered if it had occured to you, as it had to me. :)
What race will be next in Line?  All for the slaughter.  The elephant or the seal or your sons and daughters?  -  "The Last Leviathan"

#14 AnimuX

AnimuX

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostCrazy Ivan, on 08 February 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

The Northeast Atlantic minke whale stock was assessed by the IWC in 1985 found to be at 54% or less of its original size making it a 'protection stock'.

This was later confirmed by the IWC scientific committee which showed the stock had declined significantly from 1952 - 1983.

Not only is Norway hunting a depleted stock of minke whales but its officials continue to 'tune' the formula used by the IWC scientists to determine a maximum sustainable yield and inflate its quotas above what the IWC would actually approve for hunting -- if any was allowed...

#15 UoE

UoE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Even if they get half their quota that's still some 600 odd Whales and that's a catch we haven't seen in the SO for some time. Feels like such a step backwards.I've always like Norway and a lot of the Norwegians I've spoken too are angered by this continued practice - considering they're usually so zen and awesome, so to get them angered says something.

#16 Crazy_Ivan

Crazy_Ivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostAnimuX, on 08 February 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

The Northeast Atlantic minke whale stock was assessed by the IWC in 1985 found to be at 54% or less of its original size making it a 'protection stock'.

This was later confirmed by the IWC scientific committee which showed the stock had declined significantly from 1952 - 1983.

Not only is Norway hunting a depleted stock of minke whales but its officials continue to 'tune' the formula used by the IWC scientists to determine a maximum sustainable yield and inflate its quotas above what the IWC would actually approve for hunting -- if any was allowed...

Interesting. I'd like to know to what extent the population has recovered from whaling since that time. Of course there are many other threats to all whales besides whaling.

#17 Crazy_Ivan

Crazy_Ivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostGilly, on 08 February 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Sorry mate, I wasn't refering to the 'endangered' part of your post.  I was merely pointing out that Norway's whaling could actually be having an impact on what we regard as our whale population around our waters.  I wasn't being critical in the slightest, I know you are a Brit and you had shown an interest in the thread so I wondered if it had occured to you, as it had to me. :)

No worries! It's an important point to consider, and it hadn't occurred to me. Increased whaling quotas might affect whale watching trips here, too.

#18 Loranga

Loranga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

To get us polite and calm Scandinavians angry really takes alot, but this is one of the practises that certainly does it. We conservationists here in Sweden fights a similar fight towards the hunting of endangered wolves, lynxes and bears in our country.

#19 Dr. Gillian Taylor

Dr. Gillian Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

View PostAnimuX, on 08 February 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

Furthermore, even when whale populations return to the levels they were at before devastating whaling began (mostly 19th & 20th centuries), they will still not have "recovered" since many species will have gone through a genetic bottleneck and lack the genetic diversity they originally had.  This will make them more vulnerable to new threats.

#20 Arch

Arch

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:21 AM

this sounds like they are lining up to try a compromise like the Japan tried to pass with the US (wiki leaks document).